Nothing in yoga has to be perfectly straight. - Trisha Durham
Cincinnati Queer Yoga is not about achieving nice looking yoga postures or being flexible. It is about learning to feel safe and present in your body in a supportive environment. No yoga experience is necessary... mortals encouraged. Straight friendly.
is a community for those who may have experienced the following:
• If you ever felt like you didn’t belong in a yoga studio.
• You do not see people who look like you doing yoga.
• Your ways of moving in your body feel non-normative and you want to explore that.
• You want to socialize or gather somewhere other than a bar.
• You would like to practice yoga sans the chanting and cultural appropriation.
CQY collaborates with local community organizations and events such as NKY Pride, GLSEN Youth Summit, and UC LGBTQ History Month. Contact us for more info on bringing CQY to your community event.
CQY acknowledges that its focus is on sharing a yoga practice that is based on the physical postures (asanas), however, “yoga” is a whole spiritual system that goes far beyond just the physical. CQY acknowledges the cultural appropriation of the system of yoga that has and does occur here in the Western world.
Hatha Yoga is a branch of yoga. The word hatha denotes a system of physical techniques supplementary to a broad conception of yoga.
Donation based class
CQY operates as a donation-based class to cover the cost of space. CQY collaborates with local organizations who work for the betterment of LGBTQ lives.